Tuesday, August 13, 2013

lone suvivor


I first met Marcus Luttrell in 2009. I was sixteen years old. I knew of his story, and I couldn’t believe it. A few years later I read his book, and recently read it again. He has an unbelievable story. It’s a miracle he’s alive. He came back to Salt Lake City last saturday, and I was fortunate enough to go and hear him tell his story once more. (also can we just take a minute to look at how giant he is.)

There are many lessons to be found in his story. In his book he recalled the words of a senior officer “First of all,” he said, “I do not want you to give in to the pressure of the moment. Whenever you’re hurting bad, just hang in there. Finish the day. Then, if you’re still feeling bad, think about it long and hard before you decide to quit. Second, take it one day at a time. One [phase] at a time.” “Don’t let your thoughts run away with you, don’t start planning to bail out because you’re worried about the future and how much you can take. Don’t look ahead to the pain. Just get through the day, and there’s a wonderful career ahead of you.” (pg. 124)

He said one thing he learned is to always be fifteen minutes early. Then you are have time to react to change. In his eyes, there is never an excuse to be late. ever. Your time is the most precious thing that you have. Don’t waste someone else’s time. 

He talked about setting goals for your self, and never quitting. 

I won’t quit. I will win each day. I will walk by faith. I will keep setting goals. I won’t quit. 


Ps. check the trailer out for the movie here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment