Sunday, March 10, 2013

envy.


I know I talked about this on my blog earlier, but I guess it’s been a reoccurring theme in my life. Comparison is the thief of joy. I believe that statement with all my heart. I might add jealously, and envy are the thief of joy.  
Being truly happy for others is something that I have genuinely been working on the last few months of my life. I feel like at this point in my life, there is so much change and uncertainty in my life, and in the lives of my peers. It can be hard to see others achieving things, and having successes that I want for myself. It can be hard not to fall into the trap of being jealous, and envious. Instead of being happy for another person, I revert inward and wonder why isn’t that happening for me? Why don’t I have the answers I want? What is wrong with me? That got really old,  really fast. I decided I  didn’t like that. 

My Grandma Williams is one of the best people that I know, at being happy for other people. When anyone has good news, she is so happy for them. Grandma is always the most fun to tell good news to, because she celebrates right along with you. 
I want to be like her, and ALWAYS be happy for the success of those around me. 

Elder Holland gave a talk called The Laborers in the Vineyard. One of my favorite parts of it was this, "There are going to be times in our lives when someone else gets an unexpected blessing or receives some special recognition. May I plead with us not to be hurt- and certainly not feel envious- when good fortune comes to another person? We are not diminished when someone else is added upon. We are not in a race against each other to see who is the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed." 
It's hard not to envy sometimes. However, as I have made an effort to be happy for others, I have been a happier person. We are not diminished when someone else is added upon.

1 comment: