Saturday, November 24, 2012

reflections


     I had known for about four months that I would be spending this semester in Jerusalem. I didn’t think about it too much, because it just felt so far away. It wasn’t until the day I left that I truly realized what this would mean for me. I realized I was leaving everything that was comfortable to me. My family, country, friends, school, and my home. I knew that I would change and things would be different when I got back, I also realized that I wasn’t the only one who would experience change while I was away. That terrified me. 
   
   The morning I woke up to leave, it hit me that spending the semester in Jerusalem was no longer just a nice idea... It wasn’t someone else going off on this adventure, it was me. THIS WAS REAL LIFE. Suddenly, I found myself on a plane to Tel Aviv. I was surrounded by 81 strangers, heading to a foreign country for almost four months. I couldn’t help but think what have I gotten myself into? Fifteen weeks seems a lot longer then it did before... there is no way I am going to last.  I don’t know if I have ever felt so alone in my entire life. I put my head down on the tray table and tried to hide the tears (unsuccessfully) and I prayed for a very long time. I stumbled off the plane nine hours later exhausted, and terrified. That night I laid in my bed, and I was just overwhelmed. I heard the call to prayer, and I can still remember thinking how am I ever going to do this? Again, that sinking feeling of loneliness filled my heart. I kept telling myself I could do it. I just needed  to take it a day at a time, Sometimes it was an hour at a time. Soon enough, the strangers I was surrounded with became my friends, the strange land became comfortable, and the JC became my home.  
     
     There have been many WONDERFUL days here in the Holy Land, there have also been a couple of hard ones. I am grateful for those hard days. This whole experience has been a reminder that I can do hard things. I am grateful that I took the step of faith, and left my comfort zone. I am grateful for the lessons I have learned here, the friends I have made, and for this opportunity.
     
      The day I thought would NEVER come is rapidly approaching. My time here truly flew by. I can’t believe that I made it.  I did something that I didn’t think I could do.  I have honestly loved my time here. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love the people I have shared this experienced this with. I will be so sad to leave the JC. I am so grateful for the support I have had from home. I have the best family and friends a girl could ask for. I can’t wait to see you! As the old song goes, I'll Be Home for Christmas!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I bet you'll miss it, but next semester will be a blast!

    ReplyDelete